Hello family and friends!!
It's been a busy week! We've had zone training
meeting, my companion and I have gone to the Mexican consulate in Salt Lake
City, we celebrated my birthday, we had so much snow come down! It's officially
winter here in Utah. On Tuesday we had so much snow come down that we decided
we would go out and shovel driveways for some members. By dinner time we had
shoveled 9 driveways! Talk about back ache! Even though we only taught one
lesson within that amount of time, we got so much done and it felt so amazing to
help others. Service is one of those things that I cherish. I like to serve
others because it helps them. If I can make any one persons day better I want
to do it! And though we didn't get to see the reactions of the people we
helped, it still felt good knowing that shoveling their driveway would be one
less thing they'd have to do upon arriving home. As Jesus has said, "And
the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye
have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto
me."(Matthew 25:40) and it is even mentioned again in the Book of Mormon,
"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may
learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the
service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17). It is important to serve each other
because a) we are all brothers and sisters, and b) Jesus has served us. As we
serve others we are serving Him. Service also helps to turn your mood around! I
was feeling pretty bitter on Tuesday but as I started to forget myself and get
to work, my day turned right around! I am so grateful for the example that
Jesus Christ has been to us and the love we feel from Him. I know He's our big
brother and loves us very very much.
Earlier in the email I mentioned that my companion and I traveled to
Salt Lake City on Wednesday to the Mexican consulate. My companion's visa has
come in. She is scheduled to leave for Mexico this week. It's such a
bittersweet feeling to know that I will not be serving with a wonderful sister
anymore. I'm sad to let her go but she is going to do amazing things in Mexico!
While we were in Salt Lake City and it so happen to be my birthday we asked our
driver to drive us by the temple to take pictures! How many people can say that
they left their mission on their birthday and got my picture taken with my
companion in front of the temple!? That really made my birthday special!
Earlier in the morning, my companion set out a happy birthday banner for me and
a cute card which she hand made. I have attached pictures, then we ate at a
local cafe called roll up cafe. They specialize in crepes and anything Nutella!
We ate "breakfast" with our district. I had a crepe called
"summer fling" it consisted of strawberries, raspberries, and, of
course, Nutella all rolled into a crepe!! I think this is the one restaurant I
will miss the most when I leave. Speaking of leaving, both my companion and I
will be leaving this area, leaving it to be white washed (we're being replaced
with elders). I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling a little bitter at the way we
found out we were leaving but I know that wherever I am going Heavenly Father
has a plan for me. My companion has received her visa and will be going to
Mexico but I have no idea where I am going. Our mission president is doing
something new this transfer. He will be calling us and telling us if we're
leaving or staying, if we're training, or if we are leadership. He will not be
telling us where we are going or who will be our new companion until transfer
day! A little nerve wracking buuuuut it should be interesting! It will be a
quicker way to transfer and a less sociable haha which is what he is mainly
trying to keep down. Transfers just happens to be a mission party and reunion
lately! Of course president would notice 261+ missionaries out of their area
hanging out in a parking lot. I will find out on Wednesday where I am going and
who I will be with so I will inform you next week!
On
Saturday, I had the blessed opportunity to go to the baptism of a young man
that I taught in American fork. We had to pass him off to the elders at one
point because he was a street out of our area. It was so sad but we knew the
elders would take good care of him. He is so super intelligent. He's from Ghana
and is living here as an exchange to go to the high school here. His baptism
was beautiful! You could tell he was so grateful and that he had felt the
spirit of The Lord! Immediately when he came out of the water, he had the
biggest grin on his face! This is what I love!!!!! I love to see how the gospel
blesses lives and for people to feel the happiness that I have and still feel
with the gospel in their lives!
This
Sunday was very good!! We got one of our less actives to come out to church,
all 3 blocks in fact! And not even just that, another less active that we
didn't expect came to church as well! She also stayed for all 3 blocks. Our
area lacks in investigators so we see little successes like this we become
grateful to our Heavenly Father for these tender mercies! The Lord has been so
good lately (He's always good, I just sometimes forget to recognize it) my 22nd
birthday was just wonderful and I want to thank all of those who sent me cards
and small letters! It helps to know that I am loved and supported back home or
wherever my family resides. It motivates me to be a better missionary every day
that I am here. Now that I have been 9 months out, I have realized the mistakes
I have made and know that yes, I did make mistakes but I am where I am as a
missionary because of them. I have 9 more months to kick butt. There are many
people out there that need the gospel (yes, even in Utah). I made a vow to my
Heavenly Father that I would help them see the hand of God in their lives and
to recognize the Holy Ghost. It's crazy to think that 9 months have already
passed and that by March I will have been out for a year. What an absolutely
mind churning thought. I have learned to think more of the present instead of
the future. I am so grateful to be here on my mission and to be serving The
Lord each and every day. I am so grateful to my friends and family for
supporting me and loving me. Most of all, I am thankful to the Savior whom
without, I would not be in the place I am in today. The atonement is real. The
atonement is powerful. The atonement saved my life. I am SOO grateful!!!
I love you so so much!!!
You all mean so so much to me!!
I think of you constantly,
Love,
Sister Maren Schultz
No comments:
Post a Comment