Hello Friends and Family!!
I am
pleased to say that I am absolutely LOVING Utah! The mountains here are
beautiful and the people are very very nice (well, most of them!) I am
currently serving in the American Fork area. I cover 3 stakes (American Fork,
American Fork East, and American Fork Central) and many many wards. We are fed
continually EVERY night! There have been lots and lots of pasta and a couple
nights of pizza. The missionaries were not kidding when they said they ate
pasta a lot. My new companion/trainer is Sister Chavarria Maradiaga. Yes, I
know, I said the same thing when I saw her name and I think she could tell by
my face that I didn't understand how to pronounce it. She kindly just told me
to call her Sister Cha. She's absolutely AMAZING and I love her so much already.
She's older than me (phew!) and is going home in 5 weeks! We've connected so
much as companions already and tag team very well during lessons. Day 1, I was
completely thrown into the area, which was absolutely awesome, and we taught
our first lesson, as a companionship, to a boy named Brett who has set a
baptismal date for May 4. He's so wonderful and his grandmother, who is a
member, sits with us as we teach and helps when necessary. As my first lesson,
I completely shut up... which is strange for me! Going from teaching in the MTC
to teaching in the mission field is a huge change even if the lessons don't
change very much. I was SO nervous! I learned a lot from that lesson though. I
cannot be afraid to open my mouth because, as we learned in the MTC, if we do
not open our mouths, the Spirit cannot fill it with what we need to say to this
person at this time. My second lesson went much better and by Day 2, I was
leading lessons and extending invitations! My trainer is absolutely amazing!
She is so patient with me and let's me do things. We are incredibly all the
time. I thought I was tired in the MTC? I'm exhausted now! But in such a good
way. The Spirit in the MTC was very strong but the Spirit here is even
stronger. I'm learning more and more each day how to listen to the Spirit and
how to use the Spirit as I teach because at the end of the day, the Spirit is
who converts these people, not me. I am not a perfect teacher, this I know, but
I know through the Holy Spirit and the scriptures that I can come to be a
better teacher, that I can teach by the Spirit, and that I can love my
investigators, recent converts, members, etc. It's amazing to see how much I've
grown already in 19 days. As my companion counts down how many days she has
left in the mission, I count up. She says she only has 40 some days left but I
get excited that I still have 17 months left! I am here until September 30,
2014!! and even better, in the fall and next spring, I get to attend General
Conference! I am SO SO SO happy to be serving in the Utah Provo Mission. I miss
you all very very much and love you all so much! Utah is treating me very well.
If it keeps up, I may never want to leave!
(Just Kidding, I'll be home in 17 months-ish)
I want to hear from all of you! Don't be afraid
to fill my email inbox!
No comments:
Post a Comment