Hello friends and family!
We
have been hit by the plague!! But really it's just an annoying infestation of
the flu and cold. My companion got the cold and I got the flu...in the
stomach... Feeling great. We are healthier today than we have been all week.
We've been out of work for about 4 days doing light missionary work that we
could handle and going to important appointments. It is true that we are
finally out of bed and kicking missionary tail finally! As my birthday sneaks
around the corner (a week from Wednesday! How could that happen already?) I
start to think about where I am in my life. In the matter of 5 years I have
completely turned my life around because of the special gift that I have been
given of the gospel! There is no better way that I would want to spend my 22
birthday than to be a part of this church, on a mission, and surrounded by
those that love me. This week, as we were sick, I started to read the Book of
Mormon again from page 1. I have started to notice verses that are popping out
at me that I have never seen before! The picture of Nephi and his family is
starting to be painted over more and more than it has been before. There are
many verses before that's would have skipped over before but for some reason
The Lord brings my attention to these verses and their meanings to me. The iron
rod in 1 Nephi was something that I would just kind of pass over because I
thought I knew its significance but I was wrong!! There's so much more meaning
to it than I ever thought there was!! "And it came to pass that I beheld
that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led
to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a
representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was
a representation of the love of God."
(1 Nephi 11:25) such a simple verse in the 11th chapter of first Nephi
but it says everything. The iron rod that we have are our scriptures. As long
as we hold tight to these things and the word of God, we shall be led to the
living waters which is Christ. We will be led to eternal life and to all the
things which The Lord has set apart for those who obey the commandments and try
their best in this life. This verse is essentially about the atonement that if
we hold tight to the iron rod which can also be considered the atonement of
Jesus Christ we are able to partake of the things which The Lord has promised
us. The Lord has promised eternal life to those who are willing. Who wouldn't
want to partake of this "free" gift that we are given. In that same
vision that Nephi has, where others are feeling around for the iron rod, we as
missionaries, both member and full time, have the purpose of helping others
find the rod to hold onto for eternity. We have this ability and calling to
help others in need because as the missionary purpose states, "our purpose
is to help others come unto Christ by receiving the restore gospel by faith in
Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost and
enduring to the end." The first thing that purpose states is to HELP. This
one verse is about our purpose, how we can help others, and what they receive
in return. Pheeeew, I know, all of that from one verse. Anyways, now that my
tangent is over! The area is doing great and we are seeing many differences.
After a month full of doctors appointments, ultra sounds, and bubonic plague, I
am happy to say that my health is almost in top condition again! Oh and we're
pretty sure our good friend little chef (who is our house mouse) is dead, sadly.
He was fun while he lasted but on another note, the spider we caught a week or
so ago in a tupper wear container is still, scarily, alive... Though he's
pretty cunning and likes to convince you he's dead and then you open the top
and he's actually not dead. He's alive. Little jerk. He'll be dead soon..if
he's lucky. He was originally bait for the elders black widow spider but
yeah.... We've been forgetting to give it to them.
On a nicer note, it still hasn't snowed here in Utah. It's been threatening
to but big bad Utah is a scaredy cat (I just jinxed myself, I'm sure.) I'm from
NY come at me Utah. I was born ready for this weather since I was a wee little
one in the womb. But seriously... I'm stocked.
My
companion and I decided that we would rearrange the apartment this week. We
took down the bunk bed that was unneeded. The one I hit my head on each night
and elbows which I apparently flail during the night. But then again the top
bunk was maybe 7 inches from my face making any movement in bed impossible. But
no longer!! I have about 10 feet of air above my head. I can now see the glow
in the dark stars and planets on the ceiling. We've also cleaned up our crap
and put the crappiest crap in the crap basket and sent it out. It's helping us
feel so good and so much better :)
On Sunday we talked to a relief society in one of our stakes about
obedience. We were given the talk "obedience brings blessings" by
Thomas s. Monson. I love the way that
Thomas puts obedience into perspective as he tells a story from his childhood
about he and his friend wanting to have a fire one summer night while at a
camping area in Provo canyon. He recalls needing to clear a space in the field
to put their fire but they had to clear an area so he, being a young boy and
knowing he shouldn't play with matches, went to his cabin and grabbed some
matches sneakily and put the,m in his pocket. He says, as a young boy, he
thought the fire would only burn as far as they wanted it to and them magically
go out. Well, as we know, it didn't happen that way. Instead, the dry field
took fire like it was doused in gasoline ams they needed to run for help, which
they did. The entire camping community was able to put out the fire before any
major damage had been done. This story reminds me just how important obedience
is for us. Heavenly Father sets up rules for us much like little Thomas' mom
and dad did not to play with matches. He wants us to be safe physically and
spiritually which is why he sets commandments in place. Sometimes we have to
experience first hand or second hand for ourselves to know why we keep
commandments. Obedience really does bring blessings and happiness. Just
something that came to mind yesterday.
Yesterday we met with a guy for the first time and he was joined by his
two other roommates. Let me tell you, these are the funniest guys! Van, who is
Vietnamese, has never seen Harry potter movies or read the books! What an
existence! It's okay though because his roommates who are American and Chinese
have the bases covered. They start to compare the type of girls they want by
the characters in Harry potter! We also learned that the one guy is a manny.
Yes, you read that right... A manny and he loves it! More power to him! So
interesting story how they all met. One day this guy is playing with his band
in a park when Jeff approaches him looking for places to live and he's like oh
hey come live with me, and Jeff is all like sure! Baaaaam roommates and then
van came in there somehow.
Fun facts I learned this week;
It's easier to walk on earth than it is to walk
on the moon... Duh.
My birthday is in one week
Technology apparently exist outside of the
mission
Also, holidays still happen... Who knew?
If you put root beer in a square cup it becomes
beer
You should actually use an Allan wrench to take
apart bunk beds... Not scissors
Whenever I stub my toe I crack a toenail
My 5th pair of shoes have been worn through
I guess I'll just cut it off there and leave the
rest for next week.
I love you all very very much!!!
Love,
Maren :)
No comments:
Post a Comment